Are you trying to figure out how to stop overeating even though you’re full? Are you ready to stop this viscous overeating cycle so that you can lose those 20 pounds for good?
This post will show you the exact steps to take to stop overeating so you can start losing weight quickly.
I have been able to lose 20 pounds and stop overeating, which has not only changed my life physically but mentally as well. I used to wake up with a sick stomach every morning feeling so frustrated that I let myself “self sabotaged” again.
By implementing these exact strategies I was able to finally feel confident in my body and with my food choices again. When I learned how to stop overeating, I also started having so much more energy and felt like food wasn’t controlling my life. And I know you are totally capable of this too!
This post shows you how I stopped overeating and the most frequently asked questions I receive about overeating.
These are the 5 steps you want to take when learning how to stop overeating:
1. Eat in a way that actually keeps you full so you can prevent overeating in the first place.
Here’s the thing, if you are not eating in a way to balance your blood sugar and shut off hunger hormones, it’s going to make it feel impossible to stop overeating. If you eat in a way like I teach in The Low Carb Babe Society that helps you manage your hunger it will make it SO much easier to stop overeating. When we are full and our blood sugar is balanced, we are just way more in control of our food choices.
Some simple ways you can start eating in a way that actually keeps you full so you can learn how to stop overeating are:
- Have protein at each meal. Protein decrease a hunger hormone called, ghrelin, and lack of protein causes cravings specifically for carbohydrates. This can include foods like chicken, eggs, fish, shrimp, turkey, beef, pork or protein powder.
- Have a fat source at each meal. Fat helps to release a hormone called, cholecystokinin, (aka CKK) that promotes satiety. This can include foods like avocado, nuts, seeds, butter and oils.
- Have non starchy veggies at lunch and dinner. Non-starchy veggies are loaded with water and fiber. This physically stretches our stomach telling our brain we are full. This can include foods like broccoli, cauliflower, spaghetti squash, green beans or salad.
- Finding your carbohydrate tolerance. You can do this by sticking to a consistent servings of carbs per day. You then would track your weights and how you feel to see how many carbohydrates work best for you. If you want more help with this I teach you how to do this in The Low Carb Babe Society.
- Stick to high fiber carbohydrates when having a carb at a meal. Choosing higher fiber carbs helps to decrease the spike in blood sugar after a meal. This will help you manage your hunger and cravings better. This can include foods like berries, beans, lentils and potatoes.
If you are interested in learning how to lose weight without being hangry or counting calories check out this free workshop.
2. Notice the thoughts you are having while overeating.
The KEY to stop overeating is working on your mindset and this starts with acknowledging what thoughts are causing you to overeat in the first place. Why is this so important?
Because our thoughts affect our feelings, which affect our actions, which affect our results.
If you are having thoughts while overeating such as “I cannot stop eating” or “I don’t really care I’ll just start again tomorrow” then why would you stop overeating? You wouldn’t.
These negative thoughts are going to cause you to feel defeated and/or frustrated. Those feelings will probably lead you to keep eating and then you won’t lose the weight.
So acknowledging the thoughts you are having while you are over eating is essential when learning how to stop overeating.
3. Reframe those thoughts.
Once you start to notice the thoughts you are thinking, that hold you back from stopping the desire to overeat, only then you can start to reframe these thoughts. This will help your feelings be more aligned with the actions and results you want to have.
Let’s use the example of the thought “I don’t care I’ll start again tomorrow.” If we reframe that to “I do care and I can make a choice to change right now” you are probably going to feel more motivated and empowered. This will empower you to want to stop overeating and then you can finally lose weight for good.
These thought changes are not something you will perfect overnight. But I really encourage you to give them a try because I find it’s the only way to really learn how to stop overeating for good. This was the game changer for me and I know it can be for you too.
4. Find something else to do.
After you start to acknowledge and reframe your thoughts you are going to want to find something else to keep you occupied besides eating. That way you are not sitting there debating if you should pick up the bag of chips again. Instead, distract yourself with something that is more productive and that keeps your hands busy.
Some examples can be:
- read a book
- make a tea
- stretch on the floor
- get yourself ready for the next day
- write down your goals
- do a puzzle
- play a game
- if it’s late – go to bed!
5. Reflect on overeating episodes so you can learn how to stop overeating in the future.
Lastly, use every overeating experience as an opportunity to learn from. Learning how to stop overeating is a marathon not a sprint. There is no failing, there is only learning.
Even as you start implementing these changes you will probably slip up and that’s ok. It’s all part of the process!
The best thing to do in this situation is to drop the guilt because you’re human. You may have been overeating for a long time so you’re not gonna just stop overnight.
Just make sure to reflect on the situation.
Then write down and think about:
- where did you slip up?
- how can you handle it differently next time?
- what did you do well? (yes this one is important)
- how did you improve since last time?
I teach you more about how to implement these mindset shifts in this free workshop on how to lose weight without counting calories.
Click here to watch the free workshop today so you can lose weight and start feeling excited to get dressed in the morning again.